William A. Kershaw
For over 27 years, Mr. Kershaw has represented clients in class actions and complex litigation in state and federal courts, including coordinated and multi-district proceedings. Prior to entering civil practice, Mr. Kershaw spent nine years in the District Attorney’s Office of Sacramento County where he tried some 75 cases to verdict and supervised the Consumer and White Collar Fraud Division, various felony trial teams, and the Career Criminal Unit.
Mr. Kershaw’s experience includes serving as court-appointed lead class counsel and/or liaison counsel on behalf of plaintiffs in numerous class actions, mass torts and consumer-related proceedings throughout the United States. On occasion, he also served as defense counsel in consolidated securities litigation and other class action cases. During his career some of his notable cases include:
$45 Million Jury Verdict against Ford Motors Company: A $29.6 million jury verdict on behalf of eleven heavy truck dealers in the
Ford Motors breach of contract lawsuitincreased to $45 million in August 2012 to reflect interest accrued over the life of the suit. The case, which took 13 years of litigation, was based on allegations that Ford violated its franchise agreement for failing to supply the dealers with heavy trucks following sale by Ford of its heavy truck business to Freightliner in 1997. The eleven dealerships were located throughout the United States.
- Currently serving as lead class counsel in a class action against
PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP (PwC) alleging failure to pay PwC Audit Associates overtime and other compensation due under California wage and hour laws.
- Currently serving on the Plaintiff's Discovery Committee for In re:
DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. Pinnacle Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation "MDL No. 2244”
$39 million settlement against VeriSign, Inc. on behalf of a nationwide class alleging misrepresentation to U.S. businesses regarding the degree of security provided by VeriSign’s Secure Site Pro encrypted security certificates.
$87 million settlement against United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS) on behalf of a class of 23,600 UPS drivers to recover unpaid wages based on allegations that the employer failed to provide meal and rest periods. The cases settled in 2006 for an $87 million cash payment and other benefits to class members valued at more than $4 million. This is believed to be the largest "meal and rest period” settlement in California history, and was one of the largest nationwide wage and hour settlements of 2007.
- Multiple mass tort settlements in the
$20 to $40 million dollar range involving a broad spectrum of
medical devices (court protective orders preclude identification of defendants which are well-known pharmaceutical companies).
- Served as lead counsel in a seven-month trial to verdict of a class action alleging bad faith insurance practices against the California State Compensation Insurance Fund, California’s largest workers compensation carrier.
$330 million class action settlement against American Honda Motor Co., Inc. arising out of MDL proceedings on behalf of all present and former Honda dealers alleging RICO violations relating to misallocation of vehicles in a nationwide bribery conspiracy.
$180 million settlement against a Richmond chemical company for release of sulfuric acid vapor in the San Francisco Bay area.
$46 million settlement against Jenny Craig, Inc. for misleading advertising and improper business practices. Multiple recoveries on behalf of class members, totaling more than $75 million against the funeral industry for improper handling of human remains.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES & AFFILIATIONS
- Past President, Sacramento County Bar Association (SCBA)
- Director/Board Member, California District Attorney’s Association (CDAA)
- Secretary/Treasurer and Vice President, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Chair, SCBA Judiciary Committee – responsible for evaluating candidates for judicial office and performance of sitting judges
- Chair, SCBA Conference of Delegates Committee to the State Bar Conference of Delegates
- Chair, California Consumer Protection Council
- Member, Board of Directors, Sacramento Downtown Rotary
- Vice President, Board of Trustees, St. Michael’s Episcopal Day School
- Member (Master Emeritus), Anthony M. Kennedy American Inns of Court
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Kronick, Moskovitz, Tiedemann & Girard, P.C.: Past Chairman and member of the firm’s Board of Directors (1987-2003); Chair of KMTG’s complex litigation practice group dedicated to prosecution of consumer class action and mass tort matters (1983-2003).