Birth injuries are defined as injuries to unborn and newborn infants before, during, and shortly after the birth process. When a doctor or other health care professional makes mistakes during delivery, those mistakes can result in devastating and lifelong injury and disability for the child and can be financially and emotionally draining on the parents of the child.
Causes of Birth Injuries
Injuries to the baby are most likely to occur during a difficult labor and delivery, including the following types of problems:
- Large Babies — Babies with a birth weight of more than about 8 pounds, 13 ounces
- Premature Babies — Babies born before 37 weeks (premature babies have more fragile bodies and may be more easily injured)
- Mother’s Pelvis Too Small (cephalopelvic disproportion) — The size and shape of the mother's pelvis is not big enough for the baby to be born vaginally
- Slow or Difficult Labor/Delivery — Also known as "dystocia,” a long period of labor increases chances for complications such as umbilical cord compression, also known as Nuchal Cord
- Prolonged Labor — Many hours of labor contractions can cause injury to the fetus
- Abnormal Position of Baby — Position of the fetus in the womb (such as the "breech” position, buttocks first) may complicate and prolong labor and delivery
Time Limits for Filing Birth Injury Claims
Each state has its own statute of limitations. These limits vary widely from one state to another, and may also be affected by whether or not the defendant is a public entity (whether city, county, state, the United States, or even a hospital "district" established by law). Therefore, if you believe you may have a case, it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Contact a Sacramento Birth Injury Attorney
The experienced medical malpractice attorneys at Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff understand that birth injury and birth trauma cases can be complex and demanding. Our attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in damages for injured children and their families who have been the victims of careless doctors and medical staff.
Our years of experience and our well-trained paralegals and administrative staff give us the advantage, even under the most difficult circumstances. We care about our clients and treat the injured children and their families with genuine concern, because we understand the devastating effects birth injuries can have on them.
If your child has suffered birth injury or trauma, please fill out and submit the contact form on this page for a free and confidential case evaluation, or call us toll-free at (888) 285-3333.