What is cobalt toxicity?
Cobalt toxicity is an condition caused by excessive levels of cobalt in the body. Although cobalt is an essential element for a person's health, excessive levels are considered poisonous and can cause significant health problems, or even death.
Over the past ten years, metal to metal hip implants, largely composed of the element cobalt, have become a common alternative in hip replacement surgery. Many studies are now finding that the wear produced by some of these implants release enough cobalt into the bloodstream to cause adverse affects to the patient's health. Although not enough data has been accumulated to produce definitive conclusions about the link between metal implants and metal toxicity, these studies reveal that in some patients, a malfunctioning hip replacement can create numerous additional and serious health problems.
Problems caused by cobalt toxicity may include:
- vision or hearing loss
- cardiomyopathy (weakening of the heart muscle)
- cognitive impairment
- peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage)
- shortness of breath
If you have undergone hip replacement surgery, check with your doctor to find out if the implant used was metal or plastic. If it was metal, there are blood tests that your doctor can perform to find out if you have excessive cobalt levels in your blood.
If your hip replacement implant has been recalled, it is important that you do not wait until you feel symptoms before taking legal action. Our hip recall lawyers have had years of experience successfully litigating against pharmaceutical companies on behalf of people injured by defective medical devices. Read our advice for anyone who received the hip implant recall letter, or call 888-285-3333 to speak with one of our expert medical device recall lawyers for a free and confidential case evaluation.
For more information on cobalt &
chromium toxicity, visit our new website that features in-depth
interviews with renown metal toxicology expert: www.cobalt-chromium-toxicity.com